Originally called the Midway Baptist Church at its founding in 1866, the Calvary Baptist Church of Clearwater underwent several name changes before settling on its current name in 1923. Calvary was both the first church in Clearwater and the first Baptist church in its county.
The church’s first location was a log cabin in what is now the site of the Clearwater cemetery. In 1926, the church moved to a building in downtown Clearwater with a congregation of 400 members. The church stayed in the same building until 2005 when it moved to its new campus in Clearwater. In 2005, the church’s membership was over 5000.
As of 2015, the Calvary Baptist Church of Clearwater has two locations in Florida. The first is on the church’s Clearwater Campus and the second is on its East Lake Campus in Tarpon Springs. The church’s website has directions to both locations.
The Calvary Baptist Church of Clearwater has family ministries which include ministries for children in kindergarten, preschool, middle school and high school. The church also has an intern discipleship program aimed at college students under 24 years of age; the program organizes mission journeys to countries in Africa, South America and Asia.