Q:

What are some highlights of Mexican culture?

A:

Quick Answer

Some highlights of Mexican culture are the food such as empanadas and tortillas, Mariachi folk music; traditional clothing such as sombreros and charro suits; and clay pottery. Mexican holidays such as Day of the Dead, Cinco de Mayo and the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe are also significant parts of the culture.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Food, an important aspect of Mexican culture, often includes corn tortillas, beans and rice, staples among the locals. Tequila is a Mexican alcoholic beverage derived partly from fermented syrup from the agave cactus. Music and dance also characterize the culture such as Mariachi, corridos, and banda, all of which are types of traditional music.

Mariachi musicians wear charro suits and sombreros. Women wear the traditional China poblano dress, a shawl worn over an embroidered white blouse and a sequined castor skirt. These dresses are often wore during the folk dances. More typical everyday cultural clothes include capes or quechquémitls, shawls and tunics worn over skirts for women and a blanket cape or a sarape and boots for men.

An important part of the Mexican culture is religion around which much of the society revolves. As of 2015, more than 80 percent of the population is Catholics, while the other 20 percent mostly includes other Christian religions. Christianity not only gives the culture its moral identity, but it also provides many of the holidays celebrated in the country. For example, the Feast of Our Lady Guadalupe is a Catholic-observed holiday that involves the Virgin Mary.

Learn more about Cultures & Traditions

Related Questions

Explore