What Are the Functions of the F1 and F12 Keys on a Keyboard?
The F1 through F12 keys on a keyboard are referred to as function keys. F1 is generally used as the help key, and F12’s basic function is used to open the “Save as” window when using Microsoft Word.
Although these keys have a main function, they can also be used in conjunction with other keys for other shortcuts.
- F1 + Windows key can open Microsoft Winds help center
- Takes the user to CMOS setup
- Opens the Task Pane, allowing access common features
- Ctrl + F12 opens a new Word document
- Ctrl + Shift + F12 prints a Word document
- Shift + F12 saves the open Word document
- Gives the user access to devices that can be removed from the computer at startup, such as a CD or Floppy drive