What Are Some Cultural Taboos of India?
Last Updated Apr 6, 2020 3:15:13 PM ET
Many cultural taboos in India have to do with touching objects or people. The ears are considered sacred, so boxing or pulling the ears is a serious insult.
Other Indian taboos concern the behavior of the sexes with each other and common habits.
- Shaking hands with a member of the opposite sex unless they offer to do so first.
- Walking on books or papers, considered sacred to the goddess of learning
- Public displays of affection or any outwardly sexual behavior
- Winking or whistling
- Smoking or drinking in public
- Killing an animal, especially a cow, which is considered sacred
- Using the same hand to take food from a common plate or dish and eating as saliva is considered unclean
More From Reference
Will 5G Impact Our Cell Phone Plans (or Our Health?!)
The Secret Science of Solving Crossword Puzzles
Racist Phrases to Remove From Your Mental Lexicon
Is the Coronavirus Crisis Increasing America's Drug Overdoses?
Fact Check: What Power Does the President Really Have Over State Governors?
Festival of Sacrifice: The Past and Present of the Islamic Holiday of Eid al-Adha