What Are Some Cultural Taboos of India?
Last Updated Apr 6, 2020 3:15:13 PM ET
Many cultural taboos in India have to do with touching objects or people. The ears are considered sacred, so boxing or pulling the ears is a serious insult.
Other Indian taboos concern the behavior of the sexes with each other and common habits.
- Shaking hands with a member of the opposite sex unless they offer to do so first.
- Walking on books or papers, considered sacred to the goddess of learning
- Public displays of affection or any outwardly sexual behavior
- Winking or whistling
- Smoking or drinking in public
- Killing an animal, especially a cow, which is considered sacred
- Using the same hand to take food from a common plate or dish and eating as saliva is considered unclean
More From Reference
Why “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” Matters in a Post-Pandemic World
Are Purple Sea Urchins Viruses in the Ocean? Why You Should Be Eating More Uni
Greek Mythology Stories: Persephone and the Origin of the Seasons
All About Bunnies: 10+ Facts About Rabbits
What Is the Market Volatility Index, and How Does It Impact Your Investments?
8-Bit Oinkers: These Tech-Savvy Pigs Are Mastering Video Games