Chakra balancing is a procedure whereby chakras, or energy centers within the body, are realigned to remove energy blockages and rejuvenate a person mentally and physically. The Chopra Center offers a chakra balancing service based on the ritual of Tattva Shuddhi, focusing on each chakra in turn and using yantras, or shapes with a special vibration, to return the flow of energy within the body. It is recommended for people with past traumas and lethargy as well as for those who want to support their spiritual practices, according to the Chopra Center.
There are seven basic chakras, referred to in English as follows:
- Root Chakra (at the base of the spine)
- Sacral Chakra (just below the navel)
- Solar Plexus chakra (a few inches above the navel)
- Heart Chakra (at the heart)
- Throat Chakra (at the throat)
- Third Eye Chakra (at the center of the forehead)
- Crown Chakra (at the top of the head)
Signs that the crown chakra is imbalanced include depression, fear and sensitivity to light and sound. Symptoms of imbalances of the third eye chakra are likewise linked to the chakra's physical position and include headaches, eyestrain and sinus problems. Imbalances of the root chakra are said to manifest as diseases and disorders of the lower parts of the body, including the legs and genitals.