Buddhism and Hinduism share many traits and general beliefs, including that of the illusory nature of the physical world. Gautama Buddha in fact grew up as a Hindu in India.
Other similarities in belief include:
- The existence of karma and that salvation comes from an individual's own actions
- Reincarnation into another being according to the deeds of the previous life
- Desire or attachment is the cause of suffering in the world
- Compassion toward all living beings
- The existence of several levels of heaven and hell and of several deities
Both religions also believe in the practice of meditation or yogic practices as a means of enlightenment.