Web Results

geology.com/articles/helium

Helium is a chemical element and a colorless, odorless, tasteless, inert gas. It has the smallest atomic radius of any element and the second-lowest atomic weight. It is lighter than air. Most people know that helium is used as a lifting gas in blimps and party balloons, but they can't name another ...

www.airproducts.com/.../PDF/microsites/doe-canyon/doe-canyon-why-is-helium-important.pdf

Why Is Helium Important? Properties of helium that make it useful Chemically inert and non-reactive Small elemental size Second lightest element; lighter than air Liquid helium is coldest substance on earth Unique Chemical/Physical Property of Helium Beneficial Use Very low solubility Highest ionization potential

www.messergroup.cn/info/down/Helium_the_special_element.pdf

Helium – the special element Unique properties The inert gas helium has properties that make it indispensable for many applications. Helium ...€ has the lowest molecular weight after€hydrogen • is an absolutely inert gas. It does not form€chemical compounds even at high temperatures • • is hardly soluble in metals and molten€metals

www.thoughtco.com/helium-element-facts-606473

Helium is the second element on the periodic table, with atomic number 2 and element symbol He. It's the lightest noble gas. Here are ten quick facts about the element helium.Check the full listing for helium if you would like additional element facts.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium

This helium-4 binding energy also accounts for why it is a product of both nuclear fusion and radioactive decay. Most helium in the universe is helium-4, the vast majority of which was formed during the Big Bang. Large amounts of new helium are being created by nuclear fusion of hydrogen in stars. Helium is named for the Greek Titan of the Sun ...

www.chemicool.com/elements/helium-facts.html

Helium exists in Earth’s atmosphere only because it is constantly resupplied from two sources – decay of radioactive elements on Earth, and cosmic rays, about 9% of which are high energy helium nuclei. 8. The helium we buy in cylinders is produced by the natural decay of radioactive elements in the earth’s crust – principally thorium ...

www.reference.com/science/helium-important-70172bb295dd7aae

Welders use helium as well. Helium is common in the universe. About 90 percent of the universe's mass is composed of hydrogen; most of the remaining 10 percent is helium. This is because stars fuse two hydrogen atoms together to make helium, and much of this helium is released when stars die. The ratio of helium is expected to rise in the future.

physics.stackexchange.com/questions/257693/why-is-helium-so-hard-to-liquify

By the end of the 19th century all gasses had been liquefied apart from helium (He). What is it about helium that makes it so hard to liquefy compared to the other gases? And why does it need to be...

www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/chemistry/helium.html

Helium Facts. Check out these great helium facts relating to its discovery, uses and chemical properties. Learn about helium balloons, noble gases, the helium atom, the balloon boy hoax, space related helium storage tanks, how helium can change a person’s voice and much more with our range of interesting helium facts, properties and information.

www.britannica.com/science/helium-chemical-element

Helium-4 is unique in having two liquid forms. The normal liquid form is called helium I and exists at temperatures from its boiling point of 4.21 K (−268.9 °C) down to about 2.18 K (−271 °C). Below 2.18 K, thermal conductivity of helium-4 becomes more than 1,000 times greater than that of copper.