Web Results


Determine the type of gum your dog ate. If it was sugary gum with no xylitol, your dog may develop digestive upset especially if they ate a large amount. Monitor your dog. Contact your vet if you notice any symptoms of a dog intestinal blockage. If the gum was sugar-free but didn't have xylitol, only sorbitol, aspartame, or mannitol you should ...


If your dog ate some sugar-free gum, you need to take quick action as soon as possible. Basically, most sugar-free gums contain a compound called xylitol, which is used as an artificial sweetener. While the name sounds like a straight-up chemical, there is more to xyllitol than just its seemingly sci-fi inspired name.


My 25 lb. dog just ate a sugar free reeses chocolate candy and I was told that its very deadly and to seek help fast. My question: Is there any counter-acting substance or food that could prevent an i …


If your dog really did eat gum just now and you know for a fact that it was sugar free gum, stop reading this article and take your dog to the vet right now. You can continue reading the article while you are waiting at the vet. Otherwise, keep reading so that you know what you should and what to look for in the future if your dog ever eats gum.


Sugar-Free or Regular Gum? An Incredibly Important Question. The first thing you must determine when confronted with a dog who has eaten chewing gum is the type of gum that was consumed by your canine. Specifically, you need to determine whether it was a sugar free gum or regular gum that relies on good old-fashioned sugar to make it sweet.


My Dog Ate Sugar-Free Gum! Now, if your dog has eaten some gum with xylitol in it then you need to act fast! I’d like to start by saying that you needn’t go into a panic if your dog ate gum with xylitol in it if you’ve caught him early enough. The good news is that prognosis is good if this toxicity is handled early.


The vet may also put your dog on pre-emptive therapy to protect his liver using milk thistle, SAMe, or vitamin K1. Simple Prevention. If you are lucky enough that the only issue caused by your dog eating sugar-free gum is low blood sugar, the prognosis for a full recovery is good.


The most common source of xylitol poisoning that Pet Poison Helpline* gets calls about comes from sugar-free gum. Some brands of gum contain fairly small amounts of xylitol, and it would take up to 9 pieces of gum to result in severe hypoglycemia in a 45 pound (20 kg) dog, while 45 pieces would need to be ingested to result in liver failure.


The dog's gums may also be affected: ecchymoses (dark red splotches on the gums) and petechiae (dark red specks on the gums). Liver failure may occur in severe cases of toxicity due to the dog's low blood sugar. A small piece of sugar-free gum (or 0.1 g/kg of xylitol) may be considered a toxic dose of xylitol, depending on the dog's weight.


(In as little as 15 minutes, the blood sugar of a dog that has eaten gum containing Xylitol may register a marked drop in blood sugar.) At higher doses, Xylitol is believed toxic to the canine liver.