Web Results


Rinsing your skin with lukewarm, soapy water or rubbing alcohol within about an hour of touching poison ivy can remove the urushiol and help you avoid a rash — or at least make it less severe.


How to Treat Poison Ivy Rashes With Antihistamines. The use of antihistamines has gained in popularity in recent years when treating poison ivy rashes. While topical creams may provide mixed results, oral antihistamines such as Benadryl and Chlor-trimeton can be effective in healing irritated skin and reducing the itch.


Dr. Alan Greene on Treating Poison Oak, Ivy, or Sumac ... taking an oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl, can help with the itching quite a bit, but it doesn't speed up resolution of the rash ...


Find out what kinds creams or home remedies can help ease the itchy rash of poison ivy, oak, or sumac. ... A rash due to poison ivy, oak, or sumac may show up right away. ... Antihistamines that ...


Yes, it does. It's the only thing that kept me sane the last time I got into the stuff! Poison ivy rash is an allergic reaction to the plant oils, so an antihistamine calms that reaction down. And there are creams made especially for ivy reactions that probably work better than Calamine.


I am fairly confident that it is not poison Ivy since I have had poison Ivy dozens of times and it does not appear like this. The rash also appeared in an area where I had a "boot" (soft cast on my foot) from a previous injury, and thus could not have been spread there.


Poison Ivy is the dreaded allergic dermatitis caused by urushiol which causes eruptive allergic contact dermatitis. Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac all produce the same urushiol and it is one of the most potent allergens in the entire world. Home remedied are very effective treatments for the poison ivy rash.


How to Treat Poison Ivy and Poison Oak. Poison ivy, oak, and sumac are a great way to ruin a day in the outdoors. Coming in contact with their toxic leaves, stems, and roots can give you an itchy rash that lasts for 1-3 weeks. Although the...


I will give you two alternatives which I believe will also help you-. Over-the-counter medicine for poison ivy will work for many people. It is recommended that you try one of these products before going to see a doctor in mild or minor cases of outbreak. Ask your pharmacist.


Many people get a rash from poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. This rash is caused by an oil found in the plants. This oil is called urushiol (you-ROO-shee-all). The itchy, blistering rash often does not start until 12 to 72 hours after you come into contact with the oil. The rash is not contagious and does not spread.