Web Results

pilgaardelements.com/Silicon/Reactions.htm

Silicon is passivated by a thin layer of SiO 2 on the surface, and does not otherwise react with air under normal conditions. If heated above 900 °C, silicon reacts with the oxygen, O 2, forming SiO 2: Si (s) + O 2 (g) SiO 2 (s) If heated above 1400 °C, silicon reacts with the nitrogen, N 2, forming the silicon nitrides SiN and Si 3 N 4: 2 Si ...

www.webelements.com/silicon/chemistry.html

Reaction of silicon with air. The surface of lumps of silicon is protected by a very thin layer of silicon dioxide, SiO 2. This renders silicon more or less inert to further oxidation by air even up to about 900°C. After this, reaction with oxygen in the air gives silicon dioxide.

chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Inorganic_Chemistry/Supplemental_Modules...

Silicon halides can easily be made to give up their silicon via specific chemical reactions that result in the formation of pure silicon. Applications. Silicon is a vital component of modern day industry. Its abundance makes it all the more useful. Silicon can be found in products ranging from concrete to computer chips.

siliconknowledge.weebly.com/chemical-reactions.html

Chemical reactions. Chemical formula: R2SiO Names: Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Silicate, Silicium, Silica Hydride, Silicio, Silicium de Sodium etc. Interesting properties: The atomic weight is 28 and it is a solid. Oxygen (47.3%) and silicon (27.7%) together make up 75% of the weight of the Earth’s crust. Most of the crust’s silicon exists as ...

www.scientificspectator.com/documents/silicone spectator/Silicone_Spectator_January...

to as one of the silicon crushers is considered an honor in the silicone world. Rochow Process - Chlorosilanes from Silicon The next step in the preparation of silicone compounds is the reaction of suitable silicon to make products from which silicones may be derived. The Rochow process is the most

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silane

Silane is an inorganic compound with chemical formula, Si H 4, making it a group 14 hydride.It is a colourless, pyrophoric gas with a sharp, repulsive smell, somewhat similar to that of acetic acid. Silane is of practical interest as a precursor to elemental silicon. "Silanes" refers to many compounds with four substituents on silicon, including an organosilicon compound.

www.xxhhjxhg.com/Silicon-dioxide-11.html

Silicon dioxide(SiO 2) reacts in heated reflux under dinitrogen with ethylene glycol and an alkali metal base to produce highly reactive, pentacoordinate silicates which provide access to a wide variety of new silicon compounds. The silicates are essentially insoluble in all polar solvent except methanol.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_vapor_deposition

Chemical vapor deposition (CVD) is a vacuum deposition method used to produce high quality, high-performance, solid materials. The process is often used in the semiconductor industry to produce thin films.. In typical CVD, the wafer (substrate) is exposed to one or more volatile precursors, which react and/or decompose on the substrate surface to produce the desired deposit.

pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/silicon

SILICON POWDER, AMORPHOUS is a dark brown powder. Insoluble in water and denser than water.Burns readily when exposed to heat or flames, and may be difficult to extinguish. Water may not be effective in extinguishing flames. Used to make computer microchips.

pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Silicon-carbide

silicon carbide produced no fibrosis of lungs in normal experimental animals, but profoundly altered the course of inhalation tuberculosis, leading to extensive fibrosis & progressive disease. ... inert reaction resulted when silicon carbide was injected ip in guinea pigs. american conference of governmental industrial hygienists.