Most familiar forms of sea life occupy the neritic zone, including crabs, shrimp and zooplankton, and the animals that feed upon them, such as coral, sponges and baleen whales. The neritic zone is the relatively shallow ... More » Science Biology Zoology

Some plants that live in the neritic zone include kelp, coral, algae, seaweed, seagrass and phytoplankton. The neritic zone is considered the forest of the ocean because it contains a wide array of plant life. More »

No plants grow in the abyssal zone because it is too deep for sunlight to penetrate, and sunlight is necessary for plants to grow. Some organisms do live in this zone and survive through the use of chemosynthesis, which ... More » Pets & Animals Marine Life
similar articles

Animals that migrate include bar-headed geese, Arctic terns, monarch butterflies, humpback whales, blue whales and zooplankton, according to Silke Nebel of the University of Western Ontario. The bar-tailed godwit, a larg... More » Science Biology Zoology

Right whales primarily feed upon zooplankton, a type of plankton consisting of mostly microscopic live animals. These include tiny crustaceans such as copepods and krill; pteropoda; free-swimming sea slugs and sea snails... More » Pets & Animals Mammals Marine Mammals

According to Encyclopedia Britannica, the pelagic zone, or open ocean, includes animals classified as either zooplankton or nekton. Zooplankton are small organisms that drift in the ocean currents and make up an enormous... More » Science Environmental Science

Sperm whales are dedicated carnivores, whose diet is essentially comprised of all meat from various oceanic animals. Around 80 percent of the sperm whale's diet is made up of giant squid, with the remaining 20 percent an... More » Science Biology Zoology