Web Results


The poisonous pine trees include the ponderosa pine, the needles of which contain a certain acid that can cause fetal loss in cattle and other animals. Other pines that cause this same problem are the lodgepole pine and the common juniper.


The needles of at least 20 familiar pine trees are toxic and present serious risk to livestock. Although the needles, as well as the bark and branch tips, are toxic to horses, goats and sheep, cattle are especially susceptible to potentially lethal reactions, including premature births and miscarriages.


Not all pine varieties are edible, however; the ponderosa pine and several others varieties of pine trees can cause illness and death in cattle and other animals.One evergreen conifer, the yew, contains a toxic substance that is potentially fatal if ingested by humans. Other types of pine can cause digestive problems in cats and dogs.


Because dogs are omnivores, it is not uncommon to see them nibbling at grass and plants. If your dog is a constant nibbler, then you should avoid planting trees poisonous to dogs or plan on keeping your dog away from these trees. If you fear your dog has ingested the leaves of a poisonous tree, contact your veterinarian immediately.


Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Dogs. Plants Toxic to Dogs. Adam-and-Eve (Arum, Lord-and-Ladies, Wake Robin, Starch Root, Bobbins, Cuckoo Plant) ... Blackjack Pine (Ponderosa Pine, Western Yellow Pine, Yellow Pine, Bull Pine) | Scientific Names: Pinus ponderosa | Family: Pinaceae .


If you prefer a live tree for your Christmas celebration, opt for a fir or spruce over pine. Pine trees aren’t toxic to dogs, but they can be to cats and can cause liver damage and even death. Regardless of tree type, pick up any fallen needles. If ingested, these needles could damage your pet’s internal organs.


Buddhist Pine (Podocarpus macrophylla of the Podocarpaceae family) are evergreen (green all year long) shrubs or trees with needle-like leaves and pods that are fleshy and toxic. The entire tree can be toxic to dogs if eaten. - Wag!


Causes of Norfolk Island Pine Poisoning in Dogs Most canines encounter the Norfolk Island pine indoors either as a decorative plant or as a Christmas tree. Although the plant itself is only mildly toxic, treatments designed to keep cut trees green longer or to simply improve the appearance of the tree may prove to be more dangerous.


It is grown for landscaping purposes and is commonly sold as a Christmas tree. While the exact mechanism of toxicity is unknown, some dogs develop an upset stomach after eating pine wood. The poison is not considered fatal, although vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy may follow ingestion.


Christmas Trees and Dogs Don’t Mix. ... They are not digestible and can be mildly toxic depending upon your dog’s size and how much she ingests. The fir tree oils can irritate your dog’s mouth and stomach and cause her to vomit or drool excessively. Tree needles also can obstruct or puncture her gastrointestinal tract.