Oceans lay claim to about 70 percent of the surface of the earth, and ocean life accounts for 94 percent of living things. Despite this, scientists have yet to explore most of the ocean, as its average depth surpasses 12,400 feet and is mostly cloaked in darkness.
Oceans cover the majority of the Earth's surface, which is why the Earth appears blue from outer space. Oceans cover over 129 million square miles of Earth, which is about 65.7 percent of the Earth's surface. The deepest part of the oceans can reach a depth of over 6 miles, and the ocean contains 97
As a system of interconnected bodies of salt water, oceans cover 70 percent of the earth's surface and hold 97 percent of the planet's water supply. The five major oceans of the world are the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Southern Ocean and the Arctic Ocean.
Only about 30 percent of the Earth's surface is dry land, oceans make up the remaining 70 percent. Earth's oceans are home to hundreds of thousands of marine life forms, but because most of the ocean depths remain unexplored, hundreds of thousands or even millions of unclassified life forms may exis
Octopuses, jellyfish, sharks, sea stars and sea turtles are a few of the numerous animal species that inhabit the oceans. Since most plants need sunlight to carry out photosynthesis, many underwater plants make their homes close to the shore. Phytoplankton is one of the most common plant types.
The temperature of the Atlantic Ocean at its surface level averages about 17 degrees Celsius, which is not quite warm enough for a comfortable swim. However, the ocean's temperature varies widely based on location, climate, depth and other factors.
The ocean ecosystem, also known as the pelagic zone, is the largest collective ecosystem on Earth. Open waters have the greatest volume and depth of any living zone on the planet. The basis of ocean life is plankton, which are microscopic plants that move along ocean currents. Small animals such as
The Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean meet at Cape Horn, the southernmost tip of South America. Cape Horn is located in the archipelago of Tierra del Fuego in Chile, and its face is a massive 1,391-foot rock.
The Arctic Ocean is the smallest ocean in the world and is about 8 percent of the size of the Pacific Ocean. Its water is consistently cold with temperatures ranging between minus 30 to minus 70 degrees Celsius throughout the year. When the icy water turns into an ice sheet, it forms a mass that is
An oceanic-oceanic collision is when two tectonic oceanic plates collide. This convergence creates a subduction zone, which is where one plate is submerged below the other.