The first power windows were installed on the Packard 180 series vehicles in the 1940s. It was a hydro-electric system based on the technology for raising and lowering convertible tops.
In 1941, Ford Motor Company installed the first power windows on certain models of its Lincoln series. Cadillac also installed a straight-electric divider window to divide the driver and passenger compartments on the company's series 75 limousines. In 1947, the hydro-electric operated power windows became available on the Fleetwood series. Most modern vehicles have a switch for each window and a set of switches on the driver's side. However, some vehicles, such as Volvo and Saab, have the switches in the center console.