Introduced in 1953, the Ford F100 included a longer hood, horizontal grille bars, new cabs with a wider glass area, a new hood emblem and an automatic transmission option. The F100 is also called the Second Generation and encompasses Ford trucks from 1953 to 1956.
In celebration of its Golden Anniversary, the Ford Motor Company completely re-designed the F-Series line of trucks in 1953. This was the first re-design since 1948. Ford also changed the trucks' designation from Bonus Built models to the Economy Truck Line. The model designation was a change from the former F-1 designation, and the naming scheme change remains in place today. Improved engines and an updated chassis were additional upgrades of the F-100.
The 1953 F-100 was the last model to have a flathead engine, as the flathead was replaced by the 239 CID overhead valve Y-block V8 in 1954. With the new, six-cylinder engine, power steering became available as an option in the F-100. Additionally, the F-100 introduced a few new interior amenities, such as dome lights, cigarette lighters, arm rests, sun visors and radios. In 1956, seatbelts became available.
The F-100 was classified as a full-size pickup truck, and it was manufactured as a two-door pickup or a two-door panel truck. The layout included a front engine with rear-wheel or four-wheel drive.