In terms of top speed, the slowest modern cars are the Peel P50, Aixam Coupe and Renault Twizy, as none of them can achieve 60 mph. There are also some modern cars that take between 10 and 30 seconds to reach 60 mph, but will not go past 80 mph.
Many of the cars with low-end top speeds are electric or hybrid cars. This is the main reason for the low speeds. They are build for fuel efficiency and to protect the environment rather than to travel at high speeds.
- Peel P50 - it is factory restricted to just 28 mph, and it has three wheels
- Aixam Coupe - its 400 cc 5.6-horsepower engine can reach no more than 60 mph
- Renault Twizy - less than 60 mph
- MIA Electric Car - approximately 60 mph
- Tato Nano - slightly more than 60 mph, and it is also one of the cheapest cars in the world
Other cars known for being slow include the following, which all have a top speed that is less than 80 mph.
- Hindustan Ambassador 1.5 DSZ
- Chevrolet CMV
- Smart CDI
- Fiat Qubo Natural Power
- Mitsubishi i-Miev