What Should I Bring to the Chula Vista DMV?


Quick Answer

The required documents, forms and fees vary based on the reason for going to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Some possible reasons for going to the DMV include applying for a driver’s license and completing vehicle titles and registration.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

As of October 2014, the California Department of Motor Vehicles site describes required documentation, forms and fees for applying for a driver’s permit or license. If over 18 and applying for a driver’s license, bring the appropriate permit or license application, payment for test or application fees, proof of Social Security number (i.e. Social Security card or military ID, if applicable), proof of full name and passport or birth certificate to prove birth date and legal presence. If between 15 1/2 and 17 1/2 and applying for a permit and provisional license for the first time, proof of driver’s training and parental consent is also required. If between 17 1/2 and 18 years old, proof of driver’s training is not required to obtain a permit.

To obtain a vehicle or trailer registration or title, bring proof of insurance, the title or registration application, smog certification (if needed) and any payment for fees and taxes required. If transferring a title from out-of-state, bring the out-of-state title or registration. Registering a commercial vehicle requires an additional form to declare the vehicle’s gross weight. A variety of forms for the DMV are available on the California Department of Motor Vehicles website, in addition to other forms that may be needed for less-common reasons to visit the DMV.

Learn more about DMV & Records