How Do You Replace a Lost Vehicle Title at the DMV?


Quick Answer

Replace a lost vehicle title at your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles office by completing an online application form for a certified duplicate title. The DMV only issues replacement titles to owners on record for damaged, stolen or lost vehicle titles. You can also request the duplicate certificate application by calling your local DMV office. Sign and mail the application to the DMV office, or submit it in person, and include the state-specific duplicate title fee.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Some states require you to submit a certified application form or to include the signatures of all the owners listed on the title. Obtain a lender’s lien release if the DMV has the lender listed on the original title. If you are yet to finalize your car loan payments, your lender should apply for the duplicate title. When replacing a lost title, you may have to submit an affidavit of loss form. The information on the title certificate must match the details you provide in the application.

You may need to include a copy of your driving license in your application to the DMV. In Texas, you can sign a power of attorney to have someone else get the title for you if you can't get to a DMV office. Processing time for duplicate titles varies by state, and the titles can be available in as few as 15 days in New York State.

Learn more about DMV & Records

Related Questions