What Do You Need to Apply for a USDOT Number?


Quick Answer

To apply for a USDOT number, you need either an Employer Identification Number or a Social Security Number, process agent information, and the names and identification details of company officers, including their titles. You should also provide your Dun and Bradstreet Number, if you have one. Furthermore, you must be prepared to identify the type of business operation involving commercial vehicles that you plan to establish.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

A USDOT number is necessary if your vehicle is used to transport material that the Secretary of Transportation defines as hazardous and if you transport such materials in a large quantity. You also need a USDOT number if your vehicle crosses state boundaries and weighs more than 10,000 pounds, is used to transport more than eight people as a commercial service, or is used to transport more than 15 people for non-commercial purposes.

In addition, some individual states require all commercial vehicle registrants to obtain a USDOT number. This requirement is distinct from the federal requirements. A list of these states is posted on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's website at FMCSA.DOT.gov.

The USDOT number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations and inspections.

Learn more about DMV & Records

Related Questions