Mopar is short for motor parts, and it is a term widely used by car enthusiasts to denote anything produced by the Chrysler Company, including all Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Imperial, DeSoto and later adopted brands of AMD and Jeep. Mopar is also closely associated with Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth muscle cars from the 1960s and 1970s.
When Chrysler bought Dodge in 1928, the new company needed a dedicated parts manufacturer, supplier and distributor, which led to the formation of the Chrysler Motor Parts Corporation in 1929. Nelson L. Farley, Chrysler Division's sales promotional manager in the 1930s, created a think tank called the Activities Council, a group charged with brainstorming new merchandising ideas. This council came up with the name Mopar in the spring of 1937, and it branded a line of antifreeze, the first official use of the trademark.
Prior to 1960, Chrysler did not manufacture aftermarket parts. Toward the end of the 1950s, however, Chrysler saw the stability and profitability in the aftermarket, which led to the formation of its first business unit to officially use the Mopar moniker, the Mopar Division. In November 1963, Chrysler announced plans to eliminate wholesalers, and between 1972 and 1984, it developed advanced inventory distribution and management systems that allowed Chrysler to meet market demand without wholesalers.