What Are Some Examples of Forms to Use When Selling a Vehicle As-Is?


Quick Answer

When selling a vehicle as-is, forms needed include the certificate of title transfer, safety inspection certificate and emissions inspection, according to the Missouri Department of Revenue. If the vehicle is salvaged, states might have other forms to be filled out, notes the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. In New York, the salvage examination/title application form is required.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Some states have other guidelines in regards to rules for selling a car as-is, if the vehicle is still running, says the Missouri Department of Revenue. For example, the emissions inspection is only required in certain counties, such as St. Charles, St. Louis and Franklin. The safety inspection certificate must be less than 60 days old. In Missouri, the lien release form may also be required.

In California, required forms include signing over the title, getting a smog certificate and sometimes a vehicle inspection report, according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Newer vehicles may not require the smog certificate.

Salvaged vehicles are those that are severely damaged, which require form MV-83SAL in New York, says the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. There are fees associated with this form. It has replaced older forms required when selling a salvaged vehicle in the state.

Learn more about Buying & Selling

Related Questions