The brand name General Tire is owned by Continental AG, a German corporation headquartered in Hanover, Germany. The sale of General Tire to Continental AG was finalized on October 30, 1987.
The General Tire and Rubber Company was founded on September 29, 1915, by William O'Neil and Winfred Fouse. The company grew rapidly after its inception, and it eventually became the supplier of original equipment tires for General Motors in 1955, and later for other major automobile manufacturers. After its sale to Continental, the company continued to operate under the name General Tire, although it was eventually renamed Continental Tire North America. In 2015, Continental AG is the fourth largest manufacturer of tires globally.