How Can Someone Be Removed From a Vehicle Registration?


Quick Answer

While the exact procedures vary by state, removing a name from a vehicle's registration typically requires presenting the original certificate, completing a registration application and presenting a current insurance card. Depending on the circumstances of the name removal or the age of the car, the individual may need to present a divorce decree or supplemental assignment of ownership.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The state of Connecticut requires those removing a name from their vehicles to bring in the original certificate to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The certificate must show the change of name on the reverse side and have signatures from the former and current owners. The person registering as the current owner must complete an Application for Registration and Certificate of Title and present a current state insurance card.

In Connecticut, if the vehicle is 20 years past its model year, it is considered non-titled. For such vehicles, the new owner must complete a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership form to complete registration.

If a name is being removed from the vehicle due to divorce and the vehicle is registered using the words "and" or "and/or," the new owner must present a certified divorce decree showing he was awarded the vehicle. Otherwise, he must pay sales tax for one-half of the vehicle's current book value.

Learn more about DMV & Records

Related Questions