Can Replacement Titles Be Applied for Through the California DMV Website?


Quick Answer

The application for a duplicate or replacement title, called REG 227, can be downloaded from the California DMV website, as of February 2015. The form, with payment, must be mailed or submitted in person.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The form requires the vehicle license plate number as well as the owner's true full name, driver's license number and current address. If the owner's name and address do not match the DMV's records, and the owner is applying for a duplicate title without transfer of ownership, the application must be submitted in person with proof of ownership, such as the registration card. When the owner submits the form to the local DMV, a driver's license or identification card must be shown. The owner has to sign a statement of facts about what happened to the title. If the title has been mutilated or damaged, it should be attached to the application.

Learn more about DMV & Records

Related Questions