The B-24 bomber, formally known as the Consolidated B-24 Liberator, was put into production during World War II. It was the most produced and used bomber during the war.
The B-24 bomber featured a tricycle undercarriage, which was a first during it reveal. The tricycle design means that all three wheels are flat on the ground prior to takeoff versus dragging its tail as featured on the older Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress. The wings on the B-24 were also shoulder mounted, which consisted of less surface area. However, the B-24 was able to maintain better fuel economy than its predecessors. The B-24 was powered by 14-cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial piston engines.