Q:

What does antifreeze do to humans if ingested?

A:

Quick Answer

A person who ingests antifreeze usually exhibits symptoms of poisoning, including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fatigue and headache, according to MedlinePlus. Slurred speech, stupor, rapid heartbeat, low blood pressure, and problems with vision, breathing and urination can also result. Ingesting antifreeze sometimes leads to organ failure, coma and death.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

A person who swallows antifreeze requires emergency medical attention, according to MedlinePlus. It is helpful to have the following information available for healthcare providers: the name of the product ingested; the amount ingested; and the patient's age, weight and health status. The emergency room closely monitors patients who have ingested antifreeze by measuring their blood pressure, pulse, temperature and breathing rate. Medical interventions may be required, including dialysis, intravenous fluids or medications. Gastric lavage may be performed by inserting a tube through the nose and into the stomach to flush its contents.

The poisonous ingredients in antifreeze include ethylene glycol, polyethylene glycol and methanol, notes MedlinePlus. If a patient swallows antifreeze containing primarily ethylene glycol, death may occur within 24 hours. Patients who survive ethylene glycol poisoning sometimes experience permanent brain damage and vision loss. Ingesting as little as 2 to 8 ounces of methanol can cause death in an adult, and 2 tablespoons can be deadly for a child.

Learn more about Car Parts & Maintenance
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are some of the symptoms of candida die-off?

    A:

    Some symptoms of candida die-off, also known as a Herxheimer reaction, include nausea, swollen glands, headache, dizziness and fatigue, according to the Candida Diet. Bloating, diarrhea, constipation, gas, and increased muscle or joint pain are other symptoms. Candida die-off can cause also cause rashes, hives or body itchiness.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the signs and symptoms of a concussion?

    A:

    A person with a concussion may experience certain symptoms including passing out, confusion, headache, dizziness, general body weakness, slurred speech and nausea. The signs and symptoms may vary from one individual to another depending on the intensity of the injury. Some symptoms may last for a short time while others may last for weeks, according to Mayo Clinic.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning?

    A:

    The most common signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and weakness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It may also cause chest pain and confusion. If enough carbon monoxide is inhaled, unconsciousness and death may result.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning?

    A:

    Early warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness and nausea, according to WebMD. As the poison builds in the blood, symptoms worsen and can include confusion, drowsiness, chest pain, fast heartbeat and fast breathing. Other symptoms of serious carbon monoxide poisoning include vision problems and seizures.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore