The availability of Wi-Fi on an airplane depends on the airline carrier. Some major airline carriers have free Wi-Fi capabilities for their passengers, while others require pay-to-play. Some do not have a wireless system installed.
Airlines still use Wi-Fi systems for their on-board devices. Because of this, many airlines offer browsing speeds for basic activities, such as checking email.
Airlines with Available Wi-Fi Systems
- JetBlue: Offers free basic browsing and an upgraded package which starts at $12
- AirTran: Prices range between $14.99 to $49.99
- America: Prices start at $14
- Delta: Prices vary between $14.99 to $39.99, depending on the package used
- Southwest: Prices as of 2015 are steady at $7.99 a day