To remove the small windows that unexpectedly open up automatically on the computer screen and show different ads, use a pop-up blocker. It should be noted, though, that sometimes pop-ups do not contain ads or potentially harmful spyware; they may contain helpful information, something additional that may be needed in order to do something on the site.
Popular browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome come with free pop-up blockers that enable people to disallow pop-ups on their computers.
- Access Tools. Click the Tools button, then locate the Pop-up Blocker option and click it.
- Turn on the blocker. From the list of choices under the Pop-up Blocker option, select Turn On Pop-up Blocker.
- Open the menu. Click the Chrome menu in the upper right.
- Access settings. Click the Settings option, and then go down to the very bottom and click the link that says Show Advanced Settings.
- Choose privacy. Go down to the section labeled Privacy, then click the Content Settings button.
- Forbid pop-ups. Go down to the section labeled Pop-ups and click Do Not Allow Any Sites to Show Pop-ups. Clicking the Manage Exceptions button will allow the user to tell Chrome which individual sites to allow pop-ups from. Click Done when finished.
- Open the menu. Click the Firefox menu button.
- Locate Options. Click Options from the array of choices.
- Set the blocker. Click the Content panel, and then click the check box marked Block Pop-up Windows.
- Save changes. Click OK when done.