What Is the History of the Red Sox Scoreboard?

What Is the History of the Red Sox Scoreboard?

The scoreboard at Fenway Park has been manually operated for Boston Red Sox' games since 1934. The scoreboard is at the bottom of the fence, which is known as the Green Monster.

After a January 1934 fire damaged the left-field wood fence, renovations to Fenway Park replaced the fence with a same-height fence made of tin and concrete. A room for the scoreboard operators was built behind the fence.

The scoreboard had a part in Red Sox history when a television camera placed within the operators' room showed Carlton Fisk "waving" a fly ball over the fence to give the Red Sox a victory in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series. The club's history also is shown with two series of Morse Code within the white lines of the American League East standings that represent former Red Sox owners Thomas A. Yawkey and Jean R. Yawkey.

The scoreboard and a room behind it is located within the left-field fence. Manual features of the scoreboard include the inning-by-inning scoring of Red Sox games, scores of other Major League Baseball games, and standings for the American League's East Division. Scoreboard operators watch games from slots built into the fence and insert numbered plates into the required positions.

The only electronic part of the scoreboard is a group of lights that show the batter's count. From left to right, three green lights show balls, two red lights show strikes, two more red lights show outs, and green lights are used for hit-or-error decisions.