Some examples for cheer yells are "Here we go! Dribble down the court and shoot that ball!," "Let's go! Let's go! L-E-T-S-G-O (repeat three times)" and "Gators Gators fight fight Gators Gators fight tonight!" Good cheers incorporate animated facial expressions and arm motions. Proper breathing helps a cheerleader yell correctly.
A good cheer is one that invigorates both the team and the crowd. Cheers can also be used to intimidate the opposing team and fans. Incorporating the team's name, mascot and school colors helps to pull a successful cheer together.
Some cheers are generic enough to be used at any type of sporting event:
- "Let's go Gators, let's go!" (clap clap)
- "C-A-R-D-S! That's who we are!" (three times)
- "Pump! Pump it up! Pump that Wildcat spirit up!"
- "S-C-H-S! We are the best!"
- "We are the Tigers! We're not ashamed! We are here to win this game!"
Other cheers are specific to the type of game being played, such as football or basketball:
- "Touchdown! Touchdown! Boys, you make the touchdown and we make the noise!"
- "Who's that walking down the street? A football team I want to meet! It's the Gators football team, they score and we shout and do our thing!"
- "Dribble down the court and shoot for two!" (two times)
- "R-E-B-O-U-N-D! Rebound that basketball!"