Ice fishing house trailers can be assembled from kits or made from scratch with DIY knowledge and time. The house should be well-insulated, light, and have access to the ice through the floor.
There are many different styles of ice fishing house, made from a range of materials such as wood, aluminum, plastic or even vinyl. Some examples can be seen on Web Urbanist, an architecture, design and technology website.
The following steps will produce a wooden ice fishing house with a tarp roof suitable for mounting on skis or a trailer, states Outdoor Wisconsin, an online magazine.
- Gather three sheets of plywood for the walls and floor. Lay the sheets for the ends of the house across sawhorses and use a pencil and string as a compass to cut them into arch shapes.
- Cut a doorway and ventilation holes in one of the plywood end sheets.
- Add hinges and a handle to the door and mount it on the end sheet.
- Erect the structure by attaching end sheets to the floor with hinges. This will allow them to be folded down to make the hut more portable.
- Mount a ridge pole along the top of the structure for support.
- Staple tarp all along the edges of the end and floor sheets to form the roof.
- Cut openings in the floor.
- Install heating and seating.
- Decorate the trailer.