Most commonly found outdoors in garden areas and flower beds, yellow slime mold is a fungus that thrives in mulch and thick grass clippings. Resembling the regurgitated contents of a dog's stomach, the unsavory mold has no plant or animal classification. It is a primitive, single-celled organism.
While yellow slime mold is not harmful, it is unsightly, which is why most people want to get rid of it. However, most chemicals won't permanently kill it, making this task difficult. Since mold grows best in moist or humid conditions, the key is to dry out the mold and the area surrounding it.