Wood alcohol, or methanol, is a poisonous ingredient that is often found in paint remover, according to The New York Times. It is also known as methyl alcohol.
Wood alcohol is colorless and has an odor close to ethanol or drinking alcohol. As little as 2 to 8 ounces can kill an adult, and for a child, the lethal dose is as little as 2 tablespoons. Wood alcohol can shut down a body's central nervous system and cause coma, blindness and death. Formaldehyde is made from 40 percent of the world's wood alcohol, and it is converted to a wide range of products.