Q:

Is vinegar a disinfectant?

A:

Quick Answer

Vinegar's pH of 2.0 and approximate 5 percent acidic content make it effective at eliminating or reducing bacteria and viruses. It works well as a versatile household cleaner due to its disinfectant properties, and it is also inexpensive and environmentally sustainable.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

For general household cleaning and disinfecting, use a 50/50 solution of water to vinegar. Some tougher tasks, such as cleaning mildew or disinfecting porous surfaces, may require a stronger solution or pure vinegar. It is safe to use on most household surfaces; however, vinegar is corrosive to marble due to its acidity. Mixing bleach and vinegar should be avoided as it creates chlorine gas, which is toxic.

Learn more about Acids & Bases

Related Questions

Explore