According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, bromine is a naturally occurring element that is liquid at room temperature and is brownish-red in color with a smell that resembles bleach. Bromine can be found in the earth’s crust, in seawater and it can be used as an alternative to bleach to purify swimming pool water.
This element is very irritating to the skin, mucous membranes and other tissues. It acts as a poison and the severity of the reaction depends on how much bromine a person has been exposed to, how they were exposed and for how long. Symptoms of bromine exposure includes coughing, difficulty breathing, headache, irritation, dizziness and watery eyes.