Are spider plants poisonous?


Quick Answer

Spider plants, or Chlorophytum comosum, are not poisonous plants, according to the University of Connecticut Home & Garden Education Center. This means that eating or touching them is unlikely to cause illness.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Poisonous plants are those that contain a harmful chemical that produces a harmful bodily reaction in humans and animals when taken in small doses. Harmful reactions include poisoning, skin irritations, dermatitis and allergic reactions. Spider plants do not pose these kind of threats.

In fact, the National Capital Poison Center lists spider plants as safe and non-poisonous to humans. The ASPCA, an animal rights non-profit organization, lists spider plants as non-toxic to both cats and dogs, which means spider plants are safe around curious pets that might play with them or eat them.

The University of Connecticut notes that although touching or eating a spider plant is unlikely to cause a reaction, any plant can cause a reaction in highly sensitive or allergic individuals. Experts also recommend that houseplant owners be able to identify toxic plants from non-toxic plants. Furthermore, they should be aware of the potential threats a houseplant poses to children and animals. If there is any doubt when identifying a plant, contact an expert for assistance.

Learn more about Botany

Related Questions