Q:

What do sperm whales eat?

A:

Quick Answer

Sperm whales are dedicated carnivores, whose diet is essentially comprised of all meat from various oceanic animals. Around 80 percent of the sperm whale's diet is made up of giant squid, with the remaining 20 percent an eclectic mix of fish, crustaceans and sharks. While the sperm whale's diet can be established with some certainty by examining its stomach contents, the animal hunts at extreme depths and as such (as of 2014), its encounters with giant squid have never been directly observed.

Continue Reading
What do sperm whales eat?
Credit: Thomas Haider Oxford Scientific Getty Images

Full Answer

Sperm whales dive deep for their food. Female sperm whales are known to dive down to a kilometer under the surface, and males dive deeper still in search of prey. They can remain submerged for up to an hour while they hunt. Sunlight doesn't penetrate the depth at which sperm whales hunt, so they probably don't use their disproportionately small eyes. They do, however, have a keen sense of echolocation that works to isolate prey animals in total darkness. Blind yet healthy sperm whales have been captured, which suggests that eyesight is of secondary importance to the whales in gathering food.

While the hunting behavior of sperm whales has never been observed directly, many whales have been caught or beached with large circular scars on their bodies. This implies that the squid they eat struggle and fight to the death.

Learn more about Zoology

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are some animals that only eat meat?

    A:

    Animals that only eat meat and do not supplement it with another type of food, such as vegetation, are called obligate carnivores, and examples of obligate carnivores are the various species of cats. Other animals classified as obligate carnivores include hawks, eagles, snakes, lizards, crocodiles, mink, seals and walruses.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are some examples of animals that migrate?

    A:

    Examples of animals that migrate include butterflies, land animals, birds and whales. Animals migrate for a wide variety of reasons, such finding food as the weather changes or mating in specific locations year after year. One of the most well known migrations is the complex, extended migration of the Monarch butterfly. The migration cycle lasts longer than the life span of one butterfly, so no single butterfly makes the entire trip from Canada to Mexico and back again.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Which animals occupy the neritic zone?

    A:

    Most familiar forms of sea life occupy the neritic zone, including crabs, shrimp and zooplankton, and the animals that feed upon them, such as coral, sponges and baleen whales. The neritic zone is the relatively shallow area of ocean extending from the coast to the edge of the continental shelf.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are groups of animals called?

    A:

    Names for groups of animals include pods of whales, exaltations of larks, knots of toads, packs of dogs, parliaments of owls and sloths of bears. In addition, cattle, horses and deer are all grouped into herds.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore