Sodium bisulfate is a dry acid often used as a fungicide, herbicide, pH adjuster or microbiocidein. It comes in a variety of consistencies, such as a powder, granular or crystal form, and is commonly found in metal finishing and swimming pool and household cleaning products.Continue Reading
Sodium bisulfate is used as a pH additive in swimming pool products to adjust the pH of the water and as an herbicide and fungicide in toilet bowl and dishwasher cleaning products. However, according to About.com, sodium bisulfate also is found in dietary supplements such as GNC’s Liquid B-Complex in natural orange flavor. It is found in antifungal foot creams as well.
According to the National Institute of Health, sodium bisulfate is a poisonous chemical if swallowed in large quantities. Swallowing more than a tablespoon of sodium bisulfate often results in vomiting, diarrhea, burning sensations in the mouth and severely low blood pressure. The chemical causes skin irritation as well. Adverse reactions to touching the chemical are blisters, burning sensations and red skin that is painful to touch. If the chemical gets in the eyes, it is likely to cause severe eye damage.
Sodium bisulfate has several other names, some of which include sulfuric acid, sodium hydrogen sulphate, monosodium salt, sodium acid sulfate, sodium hydrosulfate and sodium hydrogensulphate.Learn more about Chemistry