Who Is Most Sensitive to the Effects of Carbon Monoxide?

Who Is Most Sensitive to the Effects of Carbon Monoxide?

Who Is Most Sensitive to the Effects of Carbon Monoxide?

People with anemia or cardiac or pulmonary diseases are most susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide, according to the Vermont Department of Health. Unborn babies, infants, children and the elderly are also vulnerable to its effects.

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas that emitted during incomplete combustion of fuels. Exposure to CO, even at minimum concentrations, may result in poisoning, which may prove fatal at higher levels.

Common symptoms of CO poisoning include disorientation, headaches, tinnitus, queasiness, exhaustion and difficulty breathing. These symptoms most easily manifest in the elderly and the young, whose vital organs are either damaged or underdeveloped. People undergoing extreme physical stress are also extra sensitive to the harmful effects of CO.