Are Rubber Plants Poisonous?


Quick Answer

Rubber plants are dangerous if you are allergic to the protein contained in the sap of the rubber tree, which is used in the manufacture of latex products. Latex allergies have been on the rise since the use of rubber gloves was required in hospitals and places that serve food.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

A person who is having a reaction to latex may display a multitude of symptoms, including rash, severe itching, hives, dizziness, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain and anaphylactic shock. A cross reaction can also occur with exposure to foods that contain similar proteins. People with multiple allergies may be at a higher risk for developing a sensitivity to latex, as well as those who are in constant contact with latex, such as those who work in medical fields or food service.

Learn more about Botany

Related Questions