Q:

What is the process called where plants release water vapor into the air?

A:

Quick Answer

Transpiration is the process in which a plant releases water vapor from its leaves into the surrounding air. The rate transpiration occurs varies widely based on the weather and soil conditions surrounding the plant.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Transpiration occurs after a plant absorbs water from the soil through its roots. The water then travels into the leaves and stems. After absorbing its needed moisture and nutrients, the plant expels the excess water into the air. Humidity, temperature and several other factors determine how quickly transpiration occurs. An estimated 10 percent of the moisture in the atmosphere comes from transpiration, while the other 90 percent comes from oceans, lakes and other bodies of water.

Learn more about Botany
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What is stomatal conductance?

    A:

    Stomatal conductance is the rate at which either water vapor or carbon dioxide passes through the stomata, which are the small pores of a plant. It plays an important role in water exchange between plants and the atmosphere.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do you identify plants?

    A:

    Botanists identify plants according to key characteristics such as the area in which the plant is growing, the shape of the plant's leaves, the type of bark or lack of bark and the presence or lack of fruit and flowers. Plants are generally divided into six major groups: woodland, aquatic, grass-like, orchids, ferns and flowering non-woodland plants.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do plants adapt to cold weather?

    A:

    The National Snow and Ice Data Center explains that different species of plants adapt to cold weather in a variety of ways, such as growing in forms that shed snow readily or by retaining dead leaves to help insulate the plant. Unlike birds and other animals that can migrate to avoid harsh winter weather, plants must find a way to cope with the cold temperatures without leaving.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Where does gas exchange take place in plants?

    A:

    The process of gaseous exchange in plants happens in the leaves. Oxygen and water vapor leave the plant while carbon dioxide enters through pores called stomata. Plants require carbon dioxide for photosynthesis and oxygen for respiration.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore