Q:

Is potassium chloride dangerous?

A:

Quick Answer

Potassium chloride is dangerous when taken in large doses, when taken with certain other drugs and when taken by people with certain conditions such as liver or kidney problems. Potassium chloride is a colorless and odorless metal halide salt used in water filtration systems and in some medications.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

As a salt, potassium chloride is corrosive in water and erodes the gastrointestinal mucosa, causing intestinal ulcers and internal bleeding. In high concentrations, potassium chloride causes skin rashes and burns. Excessive levels of potassium in the blood stream leads to hyperkalemia, a condition that causes an irregular heartbeat. Excessive levels of potassium chloride also act as a poison on the kidneys, causing renal failure and blood toxicity, which often result in cardiac arrest.

Learn more about Solutions & Mixtures

Related Questions

Explore