What Is the Place Where Bones Come Together Called?

The place where two bones intersect is called a joint. At a joint, bones do not directly come in contact with one other, but are connected and cushioned by tissues and fluid.

Joints are classified by their range of movement and the tissues that hold the bones together. Immovable, or fibrous, joints are those where the bones are connected by dense fibrous tissue, which prevents most movement. Partially movable, or cartilaginous, joints utilize cartilage to hold the bones together. Freely movable, or synovial, joints contain not only tissue, but also synovial fluid, which allows for smooth movement in many directions.