What Is Phosphorus Trihydride?

What Is Phosphorus Trihydride?

Phosphorus trihydride, commonly known as phosphine, is a chemical widely used in pesticides and rodentcides. It is a colorless, flammable, toxic gas that is also odorless in its pure form. When not pure, the gas has a distinct, rotting fish odor.

Phosphorus trihydride is a dangerous chemical that can collect in low-lying areas. It is highly flammable and can self-ignite when mixed with air. It is also highly toxic and is absorbed through inhalation.

Phosphine poisoning presents with a varied symptom set, including nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, breathing difficulty, chest tightness, diarrhea, muscle pain and pulmonary edema. Symptoms can be delayed for days. Phosphorus trihydride poisoning is often fatal.