Are mums poisonous?


Quick Answer

Chrysanthemums, or mums, can cause people to develop contact dermatitis and is toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. Contact dermatitis is a condition that results in red, sore, or inflamed skin.

Continue Reading
Are mums poisonous?
Credit: Insung Jeon Moment Open Getty Images

Full Answer

Contact dermatitis typically occurs after extended exposure to the plant's leaves, stalks or flower heads and is common for gardeners and florists. The chemical Arteglasin-A triggers the allergic reaction to this popular fall plant. Washing the affected area thoroughly may clear up the skin. An emollient or moisturizer can be used.

If a dog, cat or horse ingests mums, the animal may show several signs such as vomiting, hypersalivation, loss of appetite or incoordination. The ASPCA recommends contacting a veterinarian immediately if this occurs.

Learn more about Botany

Related Questions