Q:

Do MMS water purification drops work?

A:

Quick Answer

Miracle Mineral Supplement, or MMS, water purification drops do not work, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Despite their frequent marketing as water purification products, these products do not purify water in any traditional sense. In fact, because of the active chemical in these products, they actually render safe drinking water highly hazardous.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

MMS drops are the brain child of a man named Jim Humble. Humble claims his products can cure HIV/AIDS, malaria, swine flu and cancer among a multitude of other ailments. No existing scientific evidence corroborates any of Humble's claims.

The active ingredient in MMS drops is a toxic chemical called sodium chlorite. However, when mixed with water, either before drinking the drops or after eating them, a chemical reaction occurs. Sodium chlorite reacts with acidic molecules in water to form sodium hypochlorite, an even more toxic chemical commonly known as chlorine bleach. Because Humble's MMS drops contain up to 30 percent sodium chlorite, the reaction produces an extremely hazardous amount of chlorine bleach.

Upon ingestion, chlorine bleach causes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Serious poisonings cause renal failure, stomach bleeding and even death.

Humble claims to have administered his product to over 100,000 people in Africa suffering from malaria. None of those treated with Humble's product experienced recovery; Christian missionaries in Africa prevented Africans from using these products further.

Learn more about Chemistry

Related Questions

Explore