Q:

How many ounces are in a twenty dollar gold piece?

A:

Quick Answer

Twenty-dollar gold pieces, commonly known as Liberty Head Double Eagle and Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle coins, weigh 1.17942 ounces. Of this weight, .9675 ounces, representing 90 percent of the coin, is from gold. The other 10 percent of the weight comes from copper.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Liberty Head Double Eagle coins were produced from 1849 to 1907 for general circulation, following the need of the U.S. Government to regulate gold coinage following the California Gold Rush. The Liberty Head Double Eagle was eventually replaced by the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, starting in 1907, as the U.S. Mint sought to redesign the nation's hard currency. The Saint-Gaudens twenty-dollar gold coin remained in circulation until the Gold Reserve Act of 1933, when all gold coinage was recalled from use or general ownership.

Learn more about Measurements

Related Questions

  • Q:

    How many grams are in an ounce of gold?

    A:

    The unit of measurement for gold is troy ounces, not regular ounces, and one gram is equal to 0.03215 troy ounces. Dividing both sides of this equation by 0.03215 finds that there are 31.1 grams in one troy ounce of gold.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How much does a $20 gold coin weigh?

    A:

    The $20 St. Gaudens gold coins and Liberty gold coins are the largest coins produced by the U.S. Mint and weigh about 1.18 ounces, with the gold comprising 0.97 ounces. The Mint produced Liberty gold coins from 1850 to 1907 and minted St. Gaudens gold coins from 1907 to 1933.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do you appraise a gold Kennedy half dollar?

    A:

    Collectors can have their gold Kennedy half-dollars or any coins appraised online for free on websites such as Appraisemycoins.com, where they can search for the coin or directly contact a representative. Michael S. Fey founded Appraisemycoins.com as a way for coin collectors to get information about their coins.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are some popular antique gold markings?

    A:

    Two popular markings on antique gold are "KP," which stands for "karat plumb," usually found on gold rings to identify the piece as true 14-karat gold, and "ct," an English mark for "karat," common on pieces dating from 1789 to 1975. Antique gold markings often include the makers' initials with outlines of particular shapes, such as the lozenge shape mandatory for French jewelry makers beginning in 1797. The United States did not require such markings until 1961.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore