How Many Neutrons Does Carbon Have?


Quick Answer

Most carbon atoms have six neutrons. Although carbon is defined as having six protons, the number of neutrons in a carbon nucleus can vary, which gives rise to the various isotopes of carbon. Fifteen isotopes of carbon, ranging from two to 16 neutrons, have been observed by scientists.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Carbon-12, or carbon with six neutrons, is stable, and makes up about 99 percent of all carbon.The remaining 1 percent is mostly Carbon-13, the other stable isotope of carbon, which has seven neutrons. Carbon-14, with eight neutrons, occurs naturally in trace amounts and is often used to determine the age of very old objects, because carbon-14 decays at a slow, but consistent rate.

Learn more about Atoms & Molecules

Related Questions