Some flammable household items are obvious, such as matches, lighters and candles. Some are less obvious, such as some upholstery, wooden furniture, children's toys and some foods.Continue Reading
Lampshades, curtains, mattresses and upholstered furniture manufactured before 1973 may not be made of the fire-resistant materials generally used in later years. Check tags on mattresses, furniture and pillows for warnings, including any outdoor furniture. In the bathroom, spray cans of deodorant and hairspray are flammable, as are nail polish, nail polish remover, and the cotton balls or tissues used with them.
Mothballs sometimes give off flammable vapors, and certain types of furniture polish, spot removers and oven cleaners catch fire. Household items in the garage or basement that are flammable include paints and paint thinners, gasoline, oil-based varnish and charcoal lighter fluid.
In the kitchen, dish towels that get too close to an oven or burner catch fire. Some foods catch fire easily or ignite things stored near them. One example of this is garlic because it burns quickly and may pop when cooked, splattering oil onto nearby items. Other potentially flammable foodstuffs include bacon, flour and other powdered goods, alcohol-based sauces, and sugary foods that can burst into flames when hot.Learn more about Thermodynamics