Q:

Which element is a shiny silver liquid?

A:

Quick Answer

Mercury, also called "quicksilver," is a liquid metal that is both shiny and silvery. In fact, it is the only metal that is liquid at room temperature.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Mercury is commonly used in thermometers because it expands at a fairly regular rate and is also used in fluorescent light bulbs. This metal is toxic to human beings, and though it is contained in some household items, it is not a danger unless the object breaks.

The easiest way to be exposed is to breathe in the toxic vapors it gives off; however, touching it or ingesting it can also be harmful. Exposure can harm the brain, as well as cause breathing and stomach problems. Mercury should be disposed of properly, and any room where it has spilled should be well ventilated and vacated by people and pets.

Learn more about Atoms & Molecules

Related Questions

Explore